Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fabric on Layouts

Besides scrapbooking another passion of mine is quilting.



Both hobbies can feed the addiction to “add to ones stash”. I love texture on my layouts – so I’m always looking for ways to add fabric on my pages.



For this layout I just took a strip of fabric (frays and all) scrunched it up & stitched it to my page. It’s sort of like a ribbon but without finished edges. You can also use pieces of fabric in place of paper. Cut a square of cotton fabric & fray the edges a little. You can adhere it to cardstock with stitches, staples, buttons, or even adhesive runner.







Another fun way to add fabric is to make a fabric yo-yo.



They are quick & addictive once you get the hang of making them. I love to use them in place of flowers as I did in this layout






HOW TO MAKE A FABRIC YO-YO



1. Decide the finished size you want the yo-yo to be.



2. Draw a circle on cardboard 2x the finished size you want + 1/2” for seam allowance



3. Trace around your pattern on wrong side of fabric using pencil or water soluble pen



4. Cut along line



5. Fold under about ¼” and stitch around the entire circle with long piece of thread just inside the fold (The longer the stitch the tighter the yo-yo shape will be)


6. Pull the thread to gather and stitch several times to secure


7. Finger press or iron (to make flatter) the yo-yo



8. Now the yo-yo is ready to embellish. I love adding buttons – they look great!



9. THAT’S IT – IT’S AN EASY, FUN & PORTABLE PROJECT

2 comments:

Crystal said...

What an awesome idea! I love it! You are so crafty!!!

Lesley Oman aka Hungry Heffy said...

hey sue - i feel privelidged to have an exclusive copy of this layout in my circle journal album. xo chat soon