Thursday, February 21, 2013

Could it be a Layout on My Blog....

I bet you are thinking you're on the wrong blog.... it's been so long since I posted a layout.  I've been doing so many mini books for sale & kits and for my own photos.  I love doing minis... something about the feel of them & all the textures.  Plus I can get a lot of photos done at one time.  I've been so neglecting doing layouts.  In the past I would even duplicate the stories to some extent that I told in a mini album for the "official" 12x12 scrapbook.  I forgot how much I love the process of creating a page.

I started these several months ago at a crop.  I don't stress out about finishing things at crops because the way I create makes it totally impossible unless I pack up my entire room.  I'm one of those people who drags out a multitude of stuff to audition them and see how they will look.  While I'm creating I will think of some item that I didn't bring that would be "perfect" and just the thought of it will stop the creative process dead in it's tracks.  I've learned to just move on to another page/project or I will sit there and get frustrated.  To top it off I'm a slow scrapper.  I really enjoy EVERYTHING about the creative process, from the most mundane intricate fussy cutting to journaling the story, so trying to be what I'm not takes the pleasure out of scrapbooking.  Realizing this about myself has allowed me to really like cropping & not worry about packing for them.  I enjoy the inspiration & catching up with my friends.... just relaxing & enjoying their company.

Here's a page about my son younger Brandon.  He's such an inspiration to me & constantly reminds me to not worry about what others think and  to "go for it Mom".  He really beats to his own drum, goes after life, is easy going & can talk to anyone... that "boy" has never met a stranger.  He slays me how girls will walk by & do a 180 coming back to chat... he usually gets a phone number with no effort lol.

I loved this Simple Stories line with motorcycles, guitars, & lots of stars.  His online nickname for the longest time growing up was "allstar" the stars made it even more perfect.  I mixed in some paper from Authentique - it was a vintage school line but I love the grey & yellow colors.  The weight of paper heavier & just called to be distressed & grunged up


Brandon went to the motorcycle races with his friend James.  
I love this photo in black and white it only made it better.  
It "quiets down" the distraction from the colors and just lets the focus be on the guys.

The top left corner of page.
The banners on the die cut sheet played up the race track theme from the photo.
I distressed the edges of all the layers to add texture.  In my mind that makes it more masculine.
The "You're Amazing" embellishment is semi transparent piece from Basic Grey.

I love how Simple Stories lines come with several pieces of paper with borders, 3x5 journaling spots, & lots of different things to use as the title of the page.  Their products make great mini books too.
 

I loved these metal embellishments that I found in my friend Susan's vintage stash - she found a huge lot of old jewelry at a flea market.  I was in heaven just sifting thru the goodies.
The piece on top of the thermometer die cut is so hammered and mashed like it was run over a dozen times with a tank.  That hair comb with the chevron striping of the teeth seemed current on trend & had an masculine industrial feel.

I really like how they look on the page layered with all the other paper elements.  A trick I use all the time in the mini book kits I make is to adhere paper to a piece of blank chipboard.  It adds dimension & makes the layers pop.
 

Couldn't resist a bit of washi tape to anchor the photo 

 Now looking at the photos I feel like it needs some paint splatter..... well it's not in the album yet lol

1 comment:

Ibis said...

I love love love this layout! The distressed edges and rolled torn pieces stand out so nicely.