Saturday, March 2, 2013

I'm Finding the Joy Again....

I am really enjoying creating again.  Projects just for me have brought back that spark.  I look forward to going into my craft room.  I've always been one to mix elements from different companies & lines... you know that "kit club" look.  I can play around with different techniques, splash some paint, & make a page that speaks to the story or feeling I'm trying to capture.  Having a lot of old family photos really speaks to my heart.  I want them to be more than a great looking photo.... telling the stories of family makes the photos come to life for me & future generations of our family.

Don't get me wrong I really like doing the kits but felt like I had gotten into a bit of a rut since I wasn't doing much for myself.  Now I've achieved more of a balance & I feel like a better designer because of it.  So from now on I'm going to try to be a gal who does mini book kits/finished books, scrappy projects of our life & mixed media canvases/art journals.

What do you do when you get into those ruts or lose the joy?

So today I worked on a page inspired by Stephanie's relationship class again "Cousins Together".  I wanted to capture the relationship I have with my cousin.  This is one of the rare photos we have together at our house since they never came to visit us.  My grandparents brought her for the Easter holiday because my sister was making her first communion.  Random note... my mom was into sewing at the time & made my dress - it was flattering style & I loved the color it.

The only time I get to do "girly" pages is when I'm scrapping my childhood. 
This layout has lots of stitching & layers....

The basic journaling is front & center on the page just under the titlework.
I adore the soft blue color, canvas texture, & simple all caps font of this set of Thickers.

Then I have hidden journaling tag behind the photo that 
shares feelings about our relationship over the years & currently.


I am always in awe of people who can create an embellishment cluster
I feel mine is forced... not effortless 
I need to remind myself if you over think it there's no way to be effortless... right?

I really like the entire sheet of poloroid frames in different sizes.
I was able to use a craft knife to cut it out then stitched it to photo.

I  toned down the pink polka dot color by putting a bit of gesso on my finger & smearing it across strip.  I have a little bit of my gesso in a bottle with a fine tip applicator.  It allows me to put it just where I want.  See below where I put it down the side of the washi tape to distress, add interest & draw the eye subtly.  

Adding the dots from the set of Thickers that the word "cousins" came out of was just the perfect 
something for anchoring the photo & that section of the page.
Supplies:  Paper (My Mind's Eye), Letters (Authentique & American Crafts), Punch (Michaels $ spot, Martha Stewart & Stamping Up), Washi Tape (Teresa Collins), Brads (Teresa Collins & My Mind's Eye), Chipboard (My Mind's Eye), Doilies (grocery store misc & Martha Stewart), Tags (Avery & Pink Pailsee HO3), Ribbon (Offray), Thread (Coats & Clarks), Gesso (Liquitex), Staples (Ranger Tim Holtz); Pen (Zig); Adhesive (Ultimate & Scotch ATG), 
misc (gems - wedding unknown)

Well hope you have a fantastic weekend.  

I'm counting down the days to EMI Scrapbooking's  Teresa Collins classes on the 8th up in Cumming.  This is our 3rd annual weekend of classes.  It's a must attend in my book..... Teresa is such a talented woman & her classes are filled with techniques & inspiration and the kits are jam packed with goodies.  All her newest lines are gorgeous so can't wait to see these new mini book projects.  She's also the sweetest person around.  We're hoping no tornadoes this year - last year we spent an hour in the hotel laundry room waiting out the storms.  


No comments: